Monday, May 2, 2011

The Birth Story.... Finally

On March 15th I went in for my normal weekly appointment. I was really hoping that the doctor would just keep me and induce me but I knew that there was really no chance of that happening. When we got there, the doctor did a Non Stress Test and we found that the baby's heart rate was at about 180 beats per minute. He sent us to go on a walk for 20 minutes and then we were to come back and test his heart again. It was still up in the 180's when we got back. The doctor said that he would feel better if he induced me that night. He wasn't super worried about the baby, but worried enough that he didn't want me to wait until my due date. Also, he was going out of town that weekend and didn't want me to have any problems and not have him there. I was so happy that I didn't have to go home with the baby still inside me!! I was miserable at this point.

So Daniel and I go home to pack up some things for our hospital stay and head back up to the hospital. I got checked in at 6:15 PM on Tuesday night and got hooked up to the pitocin. WE DID NOT SLEEP THE WHOLE ENTIRE NIGHT!!! Every hour or so the nurse would come in and raise my pitocin level until I was at the maximum amount. I wasn't in horrible pain, but still we didn't sleep. I don't know if I was just uncomfortable or nervous or what.

At 5:15 the next morning the doctor came in and broke my water. I had stayed dilated at a 3 ALL NIGHT LONG. That is when the fun began.... After that point I decided to finally get my epidural. I got it at 6:15. Earlier that morning I heard the girl in the next room just SCREAMING! I thought she was at the pushing part, but no, she was getting her epidural. She started screaming BEFORE the needle was even anywhere near her. That kinda freaked me out, but I knew I didn't want to try to push the baby out without one. Honestly though, the epidural was no big deal. It didn't hurt it just felt weird. Like an electric shock. My contractions were getting pretty fun at that point so I was glad that the epidural started working pretty quick.

After that, I went from a 3 to a 10 in about 5 hours which isn't normal at all for a first time mom. Also, I only had to push for a half hour! It really was not as bad as I was expecting (I'm sure the epidural helped more than I will ever know though).

To be Continued... with the After Birth Story/Hospital Experience!

No comments: