Saturday, March 28, 2009

Goldenwest 5K For Schools.... I "Ran" It.

I "Ran" this race this morning! My very first race!


















So I ran the 5K for schools this morning. It was the first time I have run since Jr High, and even back then I only ran short distances. The most I have ever run at one time is a mile in gym class when it's part of your grade. The reason I did it (well, the MAIN reason) is because Dan is a runner. He is a good runner. Last April he ran the Ogden Marathon... and he didn't die. Anyway, so I tried to talk myself out of it all week but I guess I am not very persuasive because I did it.



















Let me just say... it is the HARDEST thing in the world to wake up EARLIER than you do for work to go run in the cold. I didn't want to get out of bed but somehow I did.

So we get there and it takes forever to start. FINALLY, we start running. That was the moment that I knew it would be bad. I thought that I had a good start and had made a good pace for myself.... then everyone started passing me. I ran the first half mile and then I started dying. I was crying and coughing and getting dizzy. I had NO IDEA that it was going to hurt that bad. I also had no idea that I was so out of shape. Dan was really really nice and he stayed with me the whole time. I think when it was all finished I ended up running a little over half of the race. Dan made me run the last mile (except for a small hill). But I finished strong! It was one of the hardest things I have ever done and it really made me realize that I need to get in better shape. My goal was to finish under 30 minutes. I didn't make it, but I don't think I could have done any better for my first race in 8 years. So, maybe I will do another one someday... but not before I do some training.


I just want to say to my sister Ashley, don't let this post discourage you from your race next weekend. It was really hard, but I feel good now. I am really glad that I did it. You will do great as long as you do your best. Just make sure you breath deep breaths in through your nose and out your mouth and JUST KEEP GOING! Good Luck!

6 comments:

Ashley said...

Haha! I am proud of you! Thats the first step, get out there and do it! cute shirt!

Dont worry about me, i am not discouraged. I am really excited, you can come watch if you want...

Holly T said...

Go Annica! I'm in worse shape then you so I can feel your pain!! I need to get motivated and run something this summer. That would be cool.

Mike and Quel said...

One of my biggest goals in life is to NEVER run a marathon!! I do like to run, but not with people or in front of people. I made it a whole season in track in Jr High training and getting out of school to go to the track-meets, but never ran in one of them! I'm so proud of myself. I just never signed up for anything, and always seemed to "disappear" if there was a chance I would have. Good for you! I'm so happy for you!

Jill Bagley said...

congrats on the engagement. gosh i feel old. i have been married 10 years now!!
i hope you guys are incredibly happy and blissful.
ps--what girl isnt addicted to shoes?

Jaren and Emily Glover said...

I firmly believe there are people in this life with the talent of running and others that just really suck at it...which would be me. Even running every day in the Army never made it ANY easier. It was painful, a huge mental battle, and I hated seeing everyone running by me knowing they were wondering why I didn't just run faster. Don't feel so bad, at least you did it! Again, in the Army even a 5K was hard for ME!

Becca said...

Hi, you don't know me yet but I'm Daniel's cousin Becca. I heard you were engaged and when I saw you on Raquels blog I decided to check yours out. Good for you on the 5k! I am running the 5K at the Salt Lake Marathon on April 18th. I think your time was awesome. It's almost the exact same time I did on my first race. I'm hoping to get under 30 minutes this year. I hope to meet you soon and good luck with all the wedding plans.